I have been at the markets again today and found all sorts of different mushrooms. It inspired me to make this delicious pasta recipe – a little east meets west – this is the Eclectic East after all!
I am lucky enough to have some of the really special mushrooms (the kind that cost the earth in the UK) available in the local markets, if you don’t have these types of mushrooms available you could substitute with what you can find. Ingredients – Serves 4-6
- 500gms Spaghetti
- Half a red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic – crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Handfuls of oyster mushrooms
- 1 handful of enoki mushrooms
- 5 large shitake mushrooms
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1/4 cup of white wine
- 3 Tablespoons of creme fraiche
- 2 grilled mackerel fillets
- A bunch of fresh dill
1. Fill a large bowl with water and set it on the stove to boil
2. Finely chop the onion and crush the garlic.
3. pour the olive oil into a large flat pan and allow to warm, now add the chopped onion and garlic and cook over a gentle heat to allow them to soften.
7. Add the shitake and oyster mushrooms into the pan with the onions and garlic on a medium heat – hold back the enoki mushrooms because they are so delicate they only need to go in at the last minute. Sometimes the oil can get very absorbed into the mushrooms at this stage and the pan begins to feel dry, you don’t want it to catch and burn so if it feels dry drizzle a little more olive oil into the pan here. Keep the ingredients moving, they will start to reduce down.
9. When the mushroom mix has reduced in size add the lemon zest and juice into the pan. Let it absorb a bit and then add in the white wine. Allow it to bubble and burn off the alcohol and then reduce the heat.
13. Lastly add the creme fraiche and dill and stir everything together ensuring that the sauce is creamy and loose. If it feels a little dry at this stage add a tablespoon of water to loosen it all up again.
14. Finally add the pasta to the sauce and stir well with the pasta spoon to make sure the sauce it fully coating all the spaghetti.
Serve immediately on the table for everyone to share family style. Enjoy.